Donnerstag, 26. April 2007

Heidi speaks - a lot

Some of you may remember my talk about software localisation to which I have periodically subjected the unsuspecting members of our profession. Recently, Chus Fernandez, Director of Undergraduate Studies at Salford University asked me deliver and extend it for their translation students. So I gave a series of two lectures, one a general overview of software localisation, the market, the challenges and opportunities for translators, followed by a more in-depth look at some of the particular issues involved in dealing with localising software for various platforms including Palm and Symbian OS, help systems, and documentation. After the first session, I thought I had completely baffled them with my "supergeek" act, and I was pleased and surprised that even more people attended my second lecture.


From putting together these lectures, I rolled straight into preparing a workshop for the upcoming ProZ conference in Budapest, where I will lead a session on translation and adaptation of marketing texts. Since my own talk preparations were accompanied by a very large translation assignment consisting of a series of presentations, I now suffer from acute PowerPoint overload!


Next week I shall report back from the ProZ conference, but for now let me leave you with a picture of my latest pole dancing exploit.